Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Found a fairly large firm growth/mass in the inguinal area

Customer Question

Hi, found a fairly large firm growth/mass in the inguinal area of my 2 yr old small female golden retriever. She is a rescue and had puppies first heat. Does not feel like a mass cell or fatty, could it be a hernia? No complaints of pain, holds tail down rather than typical golden fashion and climbs vs. jumps (hips cleared). Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Annie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annie?
Customer: Asymptomatic, no fever, great appetite, no bowel problems, no bladder problems noted, active.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry Annie has this mass. Unfortunately without aspiration a mast cell tumor cannot be ruled out with her breed as they are often called the tumors of many faces, meaning they can appear as any type of mass or growth. I also would want to rule out an enlarged lymph node in this area if it is an oblong mass versus round

Female dogs less often get inguinal hernias but this also cannot be ruled out in this area as well as a mammary tumor. In order to determine if it is benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) versus lymphatic lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscope

This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation

Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later

Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be

I always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly or in dark skinned dogs where it is not as readily viewable measuring with a ruler on a regular basis

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly and Happy New Year!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman