Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

14 month old hunting dog not eating for 3 days, any

Customer Question

14 month old hunting dog not eating for 3 days, any suggestions for home remedy?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Trager
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trager?
Customer: Not that I can think
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet tonight and to hear your Trager is having such difficulties recently with appetite. I am definitely concerned when I hear that a 14 month old dog is not eating and whether it be caused by a tick borne or virus that exposure was while hunting or some other bug or toxin is something that should be investigated.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible. But if there is no change bloodwork and x-rays are warranted to determine the underlying cause of this lack of appetite.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses, I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog to see how things were going? Did any of my suggestions help get Trager more comfortable and increase appetite? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!