Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Miniature jrt age 1yr. Had kidneystone blockage & uti. ALT

Customer Question

Miniature jrt age 1yr . Had kidneystone blockage & uti. ALT result858. Operations to unblock & remove stone antibios for uti ALT level 23/12 412. Blood done today ALT up to1586! Vet baffled Louis is bright happy no signs of illness . Why have the ALT shot up when they had halved a week ago? Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Louis. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience and sorry I can't currently take live phone calls. This certainly is a little strange to have ALT go up like this after the removal of the kidney stone. ALT or Alanine aminotransferase is considere a 'liver enzyme' and generally goes up when there is liver damage or 'hepatocellular' damage. We can also see this rise slightly in cases of kidney stones however. Hopefully the other liver enzymes were normal (AST and ALP in particular). The level of 1586 is a concern, but at this stage, it will be a matter of monitoring that level, and looking for a potential second cause for the elevation. I would encourage you to get Louis back to your local vet on Monday to have this and the other liver enzymes measured. If the ALT hasn't dropped below 1000, then it is worth doing follow up investigation here. This can include a bile acid stimulation test and liver ultrasound for a start. It would also be worth culturing the urine and looking for crystals to see if the kidney/bladder stone has returned here.

While I'm sure you are probably quite worried, if all the other blood parameters are normal, I am not immediately concerned about this, however it really does require careful follow up with your local vet to ascertain whether the level is coming down early next week, and if not, investigations into why it has elevated like this since surgery (diagnostics mentioned above). I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

I will be online for another 10 - 15 minutes - please just let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

How is young Louis doing today? Hopefully he is recovering from his surgery, eating and drinking well, and otherwise fine. Please let me know if you have any further questions?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.
Hi Joan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Louis. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Have you managed to get young Louis checked over again to have the bloods repeated? It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E