Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

He just wants to sit or lay down. Does not wag his tail when

He just wants to sit or lay down. Does not wag his tail when I talk to him. Will not play. Won't eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: He tried to jump onto the couch on Monday and missed then cried

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. What kind of dog is Bailey? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Is he drinking water and urinating ok?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cockapoo. Not eating. But drinking and urinating
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is not limping or walking funny. He goes down stairs but needs to be carried up

From the brief history and breed I would be concerned about a problem in the back or neck. The most common thing that is seen in older small breed dogs is intervertebral disc disease. This is where one or more of the cartilage discs in the spine become displaced, bulge or rupture into the spinal canal and rub on the spinal cord. As you may imagine this is very painful and the dogs will be reluctant to move and the pain keeps them from eating. Sometimes their abdomen will feel very tense so often it is misdiagnosed as a abdominal blockage. The vet may need to do an x ray or MRI to diagnose but it can usually be treated with steroids like prednisone, pain medications like Tramadol and Gabapentin, and muscle relaxers like Diazepam or Methocarbamol. The dogs need to be severely restricted in their activity for at least 2 weeks, sometimes cage confinement is needed. Rarely these dogs may need surgery if neurological problems develop like rear leg paralysis but the majority of them are just painful and heal with rest and medications.

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Intervertebral-Disk-Disease/Symptoms.aspx

Here is a link about the disease

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much!!!!

Your welcome. I hope Bailey feels better soon

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Carole Cocagne