How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19514
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do if dog eats chocalate? There doesn't seem to be

Customer Question

What to do if dog eats chocalate?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: There doesn't seem to be any symptons, seems like self yet. It has been about 7 hours since he ate 5 candy kisses.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The dog's name is ***** ***** he is about 10 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chipper?
Customer: He is an Italian greyhound and weighs about 11 pounds.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again

Good news, Chipper should be just fine! However I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. To be honest I would not give this a second thought, in my experience where side effects are going to occur with chocolate toxicity then they usually start to appear at the two hour mark after ingestion. If seven hours has passed and Chipper appears normal then the chance are that he is in the clear. But lets cover this issue in more depth ...

2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 11 lb then you can see that Chipper would have to swallow around 7.7 ozs { Very close to half a pound } of pure milk chocolate before any serious symptoms would even start to occur. There is no way five candy kisses are anywhere near this weight.

3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

4. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Chipper's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Chipper is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the candy kisses ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions