Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog grabbed my metoprolol 25 mg and ate half of it. She

Customer Question

My dog grabbed my metoprolol 25 mg and ate half of it. She is a 11 lb Jack Russell 8 most old. It happened approx 30 min ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Izzy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzy?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now the good news is that this is a drug we do use in dogs. So, this isn't an outright poisoning for Izzy. That said, since he has had a mid range dose for his weight, we could see depression, lethargy, GI signs (usually diarrhea), low blood pressure, fainting, slowing of the heart rate, and low blood sugar.

Therefore, since he just had this, we can intervene just now. To do so, we can induce vomiting here. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this is a mid range dose for his size, we can use the above just now to get this back up and limit issue. Of course, if we see any of those more severe signs, then we may need a check with his vet for symptomatic care and fluids to flush this out quicker for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.