Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She ate one capsule o 200mgf feenofibrate is it poisonous to

Customer Question

she ate one capsule o 200mgf feenofibrate is it poisonous to her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: one capsule 200mg fenofibrate
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she is 13 mos old Siberian huskey/lab weighs about 57 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

We do use this medication in dogs at a maximum dose of 4mg/kg which is approximately 100 mg for your dog. Your dog has eaten 200mg which is a higher dose

Reported adverse effects include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, liver enzyme elevations and liver failure.

If your dog has only just eaten them I would recommend trying to get them to vomit.

Promote emesis by administering 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 5ml/10lbs (one teaspoon/10 lb, i.e. 2 tbsp) given by means of a turkey baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek then walk her around to mix the peroxide in her stomach. If no vomiting occurs within 15 minutes, you may repeat the dose. Do not do it more than twice.

If vomiting does not occur or all capsules do not vomit up then I would advise a visit to your veterinary er to administer stronger medication to induce vomiting

I hope this helps and let me know if you need further assistance. I am going to review articles on toxicity but wanted to get this information to you asap

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I did find another site that lists: Dogs were administered fenofibrate, 10 mg/kg each day just before their meal, for 15 d.

This dose would be 259 mg for your dog so if there is no vomiting then you can monitor tonight for gi upset (post peroxide of >1 hour) that includes vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but otherwise this dose according to this second article will not be toxic.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am checking in to see if you were able to induce vomiting? I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is your dog today? I would love an update when you are able...