Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My chihuahua just stopped going up stairs... even if its one

Customer Question

My chihuahua just stopped going up stairs... even if its one or two, she just sits there waiting to be lifted up. She is eating and drinking and pooping normally. She is on prednisone in the AM, as well as tacrolimus, oxfloxacin and optilube 3x a day for the last 2 months as a dry eye regimen with another follow up scheduled Jan. 3. Could any of the prescriptions she's on affect her joints? Do you think I should take her to be examined?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lola.

Often when a dog suddenly does not want to go up stairs, it is due to back pain.

It could be a pinched nerve, or an inflamed disc. How much prednisone is she taking? If anything, prednisone can help with inflamed joints.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Having her checked out might be a good idea, and an Xray might also be a good thing to have if the examining veterinarian recommends it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She only takes 1 drop in her left eye (which was the eye having the most problem prompting the visit to the animal eye care center) every morning. I don't have it with me so I can't tell you the dosage.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

That is OK: I thought she was taking pills. Eye drops would not get much prednisone into her blood stream or body. She may need anti inflammatory and pain meds. The safest would be to get them from your veterinarian.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But many years ago, she did tweak her back, but it completely resolved and has been fine ever since.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

If she is not going up stairs she is telling us she is hurting, and her back is the most likely place. She would probably feel better with some pain or anti inflammatory medication, especially if this continues.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hi Brenda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you saw my response; I have not heard back from you. How is she doing? Was my answer helpful; can I answer anything else?