Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Her back heel/knee is really swollen. I have vetprofen left

Customer Question

Her back heel/knee is really swollen. I have vetprofen left from a previous surgery and I just gave her one. She is an 11 year old boxer. I think she probably has cancer (since she was 2 I have had 4 growths removed from her) but she is still eating/using the bathroom. and up and moving. I am not going to have her have surgery because of her age. I just want her to be comfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the boxer's name?
Customer: Tinker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tinker?
Customer: She is swollen in the abdomen also but she can use the bathroom. She is not going as often but she is still going.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

As long as she is eating, the medication was dispensed for her (thus at her dose), and she isn't on any other medications that could interact; then your choice not to have surgery is perfectly reasonable. Though if you find Tinker is still sore despite the Vetprofen, then you can also speak to her vet about other pain relief options (ie Tramadol, Gabapentin, etc). Otherwise, if she struggling to pass stool due to a mas compressing her gut within her abdomen, you can also give her a bit of aid with that. To do so, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to her food to push her stools through. As well, GI lubricants (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to her food to help feces slip through the gut and help keep her passing stool normally for as long as possible.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.