Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is a rescue beagle who seems to have anxiety issues and

Customer Question

She is a rescue beagle who seems to have anxiety issues and does not sleep all night while crated. Are there any safe sleep aids for something like this? she is 33 lb
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the beagle. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Maggie. The issue is not that she is lethargic; but that she is unable to remain asleep all night...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: Other than a little overweight (my fault not hers) no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) benzodiazepine with the side effect of sedation would be an appropriate sleep aid for Maggie. Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax), clonazepam (Klonipin), or diazepam (Valium) might be used on as as needed basis. All can be prescribed by Maggie's vet. While sedative, over the counter antihistamines have other undesirable effects, aren't anxiolytic, and should be avoided for your purposes. There are no other reliably effective over the counter products to consider for Maggie.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.