Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog got into some Christmas candy and ate 4 Hershey

Customer Question

My dog got into some Christmas candy and ate 4 Hershey kisses, one fun size dark chocolate and 2 peppermint candies. He is a hidden retriever mix and weighs 90lb
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: He's a little overweight, but no known health problems. He is due for his yearly check up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Golden retriever, not hidden...sorry

No problem, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again

Good news, it is very much a plus point that you have a larger dog, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Bailey very much, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than he ate before you would see signs of toxicity. This was really a very tiny amount he ate for his size and peppermint is no problem.

1 . I say the above because : The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 90 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 63 ozs { More than three pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. So clearly the very small amount he swallowed is not much of a concern

While it is true that other forms of chocolate are more toxic than milk chocolate this will still not be a factor in Bailey's case today.

2. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Bailey's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bailey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Hershey kisses issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?