Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dachund, Fritz, supposedly has a pinched nerve near his

Customer Question

my dachund, Fritz, supposedly has a pinched nerve near his neck on left side. Our vet has him on gabapentin and rymidal which seemed to be helping. The problem now is Fritz has broken some nails on both front paws down to the quick. He's bleeding all the time. I've put flour and new skin, or super glue but if I leave the house he goes outside and makes a mess again. I've even bought the balloon socks which help but are difficult to walk in.
Why is he doing this and how can I get something to fit his feet. He's making a mess on my carpet too. Melissa
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Fritz. I have to assume that his cervical degenerative disk disease has resulted in a loss of conscious proprioception (knowing where one's limbs are in space) and perhaps nociception (deep pain perception) as well and so Fritz doesn't know when he's abrading his nails to the point of bleeding. His paws will need to be protected until he recovers. The broken nails need to be removed - some entirely if they've fractured into the nail bed - disinfected, and a systemic antibiotic provided.

Please google the keywords "protective, socks, dogs" and you'll mutliple sites selling what Fritz needs to have on his front paws at this time. For example: https://www.google.com/search?q=protective+socks+for+dogs&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS720US720&oq=protective+socks+for+dogs&aqs=chrome..69i57.3528j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No phone call. I'll google dogie boots. And I'll see if vet will see him tomorrow. Thsnks for the advice. I wonder if I should kennel him when I'm gone during the day?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I only get charged this once. Correct?

I like that idea.

I'm not privy to your financial obligation to the site. For more information please contact***@******.*** or http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the help. I'll check with my vet and look at pet smart snd petco for dog socks.

It's my pleasure. My best to Fritz!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks

You're welcome.