Jennifer Van Noy
Jennifer Van Noy,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Riverside Animal Hospital
77511009

I need Hills RD weight management prescription dog food for

Customer Question

I need Hills RD weight management prescription dog food for my 11 1/2 min pin. She is about 2 pounds overweight (from 4 pounds and couple years ago and when I got her Rx from Pet Smart--[was there for their coupon associated with Alaska Airlines for health certificate). It was only for 6 months so I called and no go on the food unless an office visit. I tried a couple other over the counter weight management foods and they didn't help, she put some weight back on and wasn't full like she gets with the Hills RD, sometimes not even eating it all and PRINCESS is a pig when it comes to food of any kind!! I was in California origninally and now in Washington in a rural very small border town, Oroville There was one vet in CA that I usually took her to and they would order it for me. I haven't found a vet her that will do that except one and that vet doesn't have access to the brand I want. Can you help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about and?
Customer: Princess is old but very loved and happy. She's my EMS animal. She goes everywhere with me and she thinks she's a person (I think!) She's the boss. Princess has a cough when she barks or gets too excited and the CA vet's receiptionist and another office both said she probably has water on lungs (I think that's what they said) I do not have money for high cost to comfirm this. I take very good care of her. She had a hernia removed, was spayed and had an absessed tooth pulled by 3 years old. She has been to vet twice for being sick in her lifetime, last was over 6 years ago. All vaccines and rabies up to date, no worms, and she has arthritis! No I haven't taken her to vet for it, Princess told me so...(in her walk, ability to jump or run, at times not wanting to or stiffer than usual) I don't give her any medication because she doesn't ask for it. I have twice over 2 years and once was she slipped and hurt her self and other was really hurting and it was teeney tiny piece of aspirin.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
RE Order ID 16928978-540Here is the front and back of Princess' Rx. Please indicate on the Rx either `NO EXPIRATION' or if required the farthest date out.
THANK YOU
Teresa Yeghoian
[509](###) ###-####**@******.***
Expert:  Jennifer Van Noy replied 1 month ago.

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Princess. Princess sounds like a cutie! Min Pins are charismatic little dogs! To make sure I understand, you are looking for a prescription for Hills RD diet, as your local veterinarian doesn't carry it. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is correct, none of the vets carry that brand. I bought a different Rx food once but it did not satisfy her and she put a little weight back on.(My closest town with one vet is 20 miles away and closest town for limited shopping is 45 miles and for any type of real town with malls, chains, people, businesses is 2 1/2 hours)...SO ONLINE ORDERING really only option.
PLEASE MAKE AS MANY REFILLS CAN OR NO EXPIRATION DATE IF CAN AND IF NOT AS FAR OUT POSSIBLE.Thank you, Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Unfortunately, none of us here can legally write you a prescription. I know you said you tried a different Rx food and she gained weight. When you did that, did you calculate out the amount of calories/cup in each and make sure you were feeding the same amount of calories/day? That may account for the weight gain. There are several brands of prescription diets out there. It may be worth looking at a different one. If you want to stick to the R/D diet, I would recommend asking for a prescription from the veterinarian you currently have a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship with. Online, we don't have that, so we can't legally write you a script. I wish I could, but I can't. I'm happy to try to help in any other way I can!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for leading me on and wasting time I needed. If I had wanted to spend $55 + for office visit Id've done but like I mentioned I have limited resources [money inc.] to use, let alone pick from, where i live.
Now I've just spent $19 just to be jacked around when all I wanted was to be able to keep my dog with me as long as I can and feeding her Hills RD is a major part of that plan.
Your reply was vague and information useless without some specific brand or types of food.
My Rating is "F" or 0. Good day

I'm sorry you felt like I lead you on. That was not my intent, I needed more information before I could help you at all. As I stated, if you are willing to consider other brands of food, I'm happy to help you with suggestions and can help you with figuring out how much of the new food you should be feeding so Princess doesn't gain weight. I did not know you didn't have a current relationship with a veterinarian in your area. If you'd like to consider a lower calorie over-the-counter food that you can get without a prescription, I'm happy to help you figure out how much you should be feeding of that as well. I really do want to help.