Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cockapoo has had what seem to be 3 separate infections

Customer Question

My cockapoo has had what seem to be 3 separate infections since late summer. The first was the rear foot, it swelled up and became bright red within hours (went to work he was fine, came back he was limping). Took him in to ER and he was treated w/abtibiotic and seemed to recover. Then about a month ago his rear leg had become red and it covered the knee up thru thigh and into groin area. Another trip to ER with same scenario. Last week he showed signs of trouble swallowing, his jowels and gums bright red. His regular vet was able to see him. Upon exam now his front foot was also swollen and red. He is currently on Baytril 34mg BID and is improving. What is curious is that he has never had a fever any of these times. Could there be some underlying condition we are missing?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cockatoo will be able to digest that. What is the cockatoo's name and age?
Customer: I'm sorry, do you have the right message? My pet is a cockapoo dog, ~11 yrs old, his name is Oofer. My question is not about digesting something but about a reoccurring inflammatory and/or infectious condition.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oofer?
Customer: He has only the left rear leg, has discomfort in neck and rear leg & hip. His last vet report card findings included: excess salivation, tarter3+, thickening gums upper arcade and caudal, small gum flap over 208, submadibular lymph node enlarged, retrolaryngeal lymph nodes enlarged and her diagnosis was abscess retrolaryngeal and dermatitis (foot).
JA: How old is Oofer?
Customer: We think somewhere between 9 and 11 (he was a stray)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me about any diagnostics performed during these visits? Any x-rays to the limb? Any bloodwork?