Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She had pancreatitis last sat and we have been feeding a

Customer Question

She had pancreatitis last sat and we have been feeding a bland diet of rice and turkey twice a day. To get her to drink i have to put a small amount of her usual organic high protein dog food in her water bowl. She was seeming fine until today. I know she should only he on a bland diet for 5 to 7 days and today marks 7 1/2 days worth of bland. Coupd it just be that she needs her old food? Her ears and nose are ice cold. Last sat..a wk ago, she had fluids injected between her shoulders and iv fluids for several hrs. She tested positive for steroids in her blood and urine and we will have to go to vet tomorrow to do additional testings for cushings disease. Is there anything today that i can do to keep her comfortable and healthy?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Josie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?
Customer: She's 10 yrs old and has been lathargic again today. She will get up if she hears me say treat but otherwise wants to lay and not follow me around as usual.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How are her stools?
Any vomiting?
How long was she on the bland diet without ANY of her old dog food?
Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Stools normal. No vomitting. Bland diet for 3 1/2 days without old food. I have only put her old food in her water like twice and it was a quarter of amount she usually gets. The other times I have put the rice and turkey in her water.

The addition of her old food, even small amounts due to fat content, could certainly be enough to have caused another flare of pancreatitis or caused this one to worsen.

Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. No medication at this time.

I would plan to schedule a recheck for her due to her lethargy. Typically when recovering from pancreatitis, we place the pets on a course of antibiotics for good measure as well as medications to keep their stomach calm, like famotidine or cerenia, to keep their course of recovery on an uphill grade. Your vet may not have found this was warranted based on the length of hospitalization or her symptoms when she was released. My concern is that the addition of her dog food has caused her to feel unwell, even if it was a small amount. I'm not sure how much was explained to you on recovering a pet with pancreatitis, but it's imperative that they stay on a bland diet for 7-14 days to allow their pancreas to rest. A fatty meal can not only set off another flare of pancreatitis in the future, but even mild amounts of fat in the regular diet can cause a flare. If your vet has not spoken with you about a switch from her regular kibble over to a full-time, reduced fat diet after switching from the bland diet, I would bring this up during your recheck. It's very possible this could be a one-time thing for her, but for many dogs it's simply not. Recurring pancreatitis issues can be prevented with alterations in their regular diet, removal of all human food and fatty treats, etc.

How is Josie feeling today?