Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She seems disoriented, hangs her head, and will not eat.

Customer Question

she seems disoriented, hangs her head, and will not eat. History of heart problems.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Trixie. 14.5 maltese mix
JA: How old is Trixie?
Customer: 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trixie?
Customer: she has had what appear to be min-seizures, like her front paw was stuck out straight and tight for a couple of minutes while she was lying down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The combination of disorientation (a change in mentation/mental status) with "mini-seizuress" (a complex partial seizure is described) indicates encephalopathy (brain disorder). Regrettably, at Trixie's advanced age, brain tumor is most likely although we do see extracranial (outside the skull) etiologies for brain disorder such as a poorly functioning liver intoxicating the brain (hepatoencephalopathy) or poorly functioning kidneys intoxicating the brain (uremic encephalopathy).

Trixie's vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Trixie including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in the hope that an extracranial disorder exists that can be treated in a conservative manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.