Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog keeps reguritating his his food. He has been to vet a

Customer Question

my dog keeps reguritating his his food. He has been to vet a number of time and she gave him famotidine. Is this ok to give him. He is a 7 pound pomeranian
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ollie sometimes the food is still in whole form like he isn't even chewing it
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no…he doesn't do it all the time which is the strange part for me. She did an exam on him and said there is no pain in his stomach so not sure why he is doing this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 1 month ago.

Hi I'm Dr.Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. To answer your question yes it is safe to give Famotidine and I recommend it regularly. However, it might be worth some investigation as to why your dog is regurgitating. Has the vet done any bloodwork or x rays? When he brings up his food does he actively retch before hand or just passively bring it up without active abdominal contractions?