Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 16 year old female dachshund has been throwing up and

Customer Question

Our 16 year old female dachshund has been throwing up and has bright blood in her stool and is listless as well?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: no...not that I can think of.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did she get into anything?

4- Is she lethargic?

Friend, it looks like you have gone offline. I will opt out so another expert can help you if you come back. I am sorry I can not wait any longer.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She weighs about 8 lbs and yes is lethargic, no she hasn't gotten into anything and no other medical issues.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. May I have an update on her, please?

The symptoms you’ve reported are consistent with the acute hemorrhagic diarrhea syndrome (AHDS) which is an umbrella term that refers to hemorrhagic enteritis or colitis associated with a number of infectious and non-infectious causes and that typically lasts for less than a week in duration. Most important, it appears to be more of syndrome seen in miniature dogs and these dogs can dehydrate and become electrolyte imbalanced very quickly due to loss of fluids in the vomitus and diarrhea. Hence, it’s prudent to have such a patient attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. Many dogs will be hospitalized and given intravenous replacement fluids while the search for the etiology of the AHDS proceeds.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you..took her to the vet while waiting for a response. She was in kidney failure :(.Thank you for getting back to me.

I'm sorry to hear of this. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.