Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

18 year old dachshund was diagnosed with bronchitis. She is

Customer Question

18 year old dachshund was diagnosed with bronchitis.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dachshund?
Customer: She is having difficulty breathing, has a swelling on the side of her face below her right eye. She is on Clavamox 125 and theophylline. IShe is very uncomfortable & appears to us that this may be a dental infection. Dottie had 7 litters of puppies in 8 yrs before was dumped into rescue. Her prior medical case
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dachshund can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Dottie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dottie?
Customer: She is 18, with liver failure and an enlarged heart.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

How long has she been on the Clavamox? Was it started for this suspect dental abscess (the most common reason for a lump at that site)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Just came home from our Vet. Dental abcess or tumor. Breathing is very labored. X-rays taken last week show lung capacity compromised. Trying different antibiotics to see if the infection will go down. Thanks for your response. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Since we weren't able to aid you, I will pass your question back to customer service just now.

Best wishes for Dottie,

Dr. B.