Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

9 WEEK OLD PUPPY HAS HAD DIAREA FOR A FEW DAYS AND AS OF

Customer Question

9 WEEK OLD PUPPY HAS HAD DIAREA FOR A FEW DAYS AND AS OF TODAY WILL NOT EAT OR DRINK.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: dAISY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about dAISY?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your puppy. Has she had any vomiting? Is there any blood in the diarrhea? How often has she been having diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No to the vomiting. Have not noticed and blood in the diarrhea. Probably every 2 to three hours
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Ok. How is her energy level?

Has she been to the vet yet? Had any deworming or vaccines done?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have not had a chance to take her to the vet yet since we bought her. The breeder said she had been give dewormer and the first round of vaccines. The breeder did the vaccines herself and had not used a vet.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her energy level has been fine until today and now she is just laying around.
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Ok. If you feel she is lethargic, and she has been having diarrhea and not eating, the safest thing to do would be to take her in to an emergency vet if one is available to you.

In young small puppies, it is very easy for them to get quickly dehydrated when having frequent diarrhea. We could be dealing with something as simple as parasites or upset tummy from changes in diet with a new home, but we also worry in puppies with these symptoms about things like parvo virus which can make them much more ill. Because of this, that would be the safest course of action. Is there an emergency vet near you? If you aren't able to do that, then syringe feeding her water and pedialyte to try to keep her hyddrated and keeping her in a warm area so she doesn't get too cold and taking her in as soon as the vet opens tomorrow would be recommended.

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If you do not, please take a moment to click and rate our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!