Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My mini foxie had a hard night last night. He has been

Customer Question

My mini foxie had a hard night last night. He has been vomitting a yellow substances or goo up if you will. He passed running small black poop but upon wiping up you can see it is tinged red. 30 minutes after that on his bed he left a large lot of blood and his tail/anus area is showing blood from its exit and he has cleaned his bottom up now. A new type of biscuits is all I can think of?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He could have done, the worst thing I could think of is fish bait with elastic cotton wrapping around it (its used to hold bait on a hook.) I always discard this properly but every now and then it can be missed. I do not think he has consumed this.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is seven Not vaccinated either. Hoping not a parasite? He drags his bottom on ground a bit and I suspect this is worms?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wonka?
Customer: He is un-chopped Spelling is lacking here :)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian.

I am sorry to hear that your pet Wonka is having severe GI symptoms.

Based on what you have told me his symptoms suggest he has Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) which is usually caused by stress or ingesting something he shouldn't have. His symptoms do sound quite severe however and I am concerned, especially because of his age.

How is Wonka's energy level?
What color are his gums? Pale (white) or pink?

- Dr. H