Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I'm warren i have and 11 year old english masstif for the

Customer Question

hi i'm warren i have and 11 year old english masstif for the last 2 days my dog has not eaten or hardly drank water he threw up water and flem he just sleeps and his lips and jaw are white color and dry , do you have any advise please
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: not really he is normaly a happy dog but this is not like him , when he walks he looks like he is drunk and his breathing is faster than normal
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can he keep the water down?

Are his gums white too? Moist or sticky?

Any change to his breathing?

Does he seem weak?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He can keep water down most times . He is weak he's gums are white he is breathing is a little fast
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

Oh dear,

Now if his gums are white as well, we have an urgent situatin and I am concerned that his vomiting and appetite loss is just a side issue. This is because paling of the gums can be a sign of low red blood cell levels (due to bleeding internally, immune mediated red haemolytic anemia, bone marrow issues), heart problems and issues causing difficulty getting oxygen (though often those dogs are struggling to breath). And I’d note that this will be causing his weakness and wobbliness.

In this case, with those white gums, we have an urgent situation and really need him seen right away. We’d want his vet to check his heart, lungs, assess his red blood cell levels and make sure there isn’t an ongoing bleed that needs to be addressed.

Any delay and you can try to soothe his stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)] Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And after, you can offer a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). But again if his gums are pale, then we have an urgent situation and need to make sure he isn’t bleeding and address this to give him a chance of recovery.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 days ago.
Hi Warren,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.