Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pup has really dark, but firm, stool. And has thrown up

Customer Question

My pup has really dark, but firm, stool. And has thrown up his dinner twice now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I have been out of town, he's been staying with family. But they didn't report anything unusual back
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chumley and he's 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chumley?
Customer: He was treated for fleas a little over a week ago. We aren't sure how long he had them (very furry) and we switched his food about 2 weeks ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

When you say dark, do you mean black? Any blood?

What did the vomit look like? Was this 2 meals in a row?

Was the diet change gradual or a quick switch?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Black, no blood. Vomit was mostly his undigested food. One meal, 3 vomits. The last was just liquid. Gradual switch of food. Gums are pink and normal. No tenderness. And he could have eaten something but he has been with a family member for the holidays
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Since it was black, can you tell me if Chumley eats dirt at all?

Any access to bones since this started?

What is the new diet he is on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that I've ever seen. He has had 2 bully sticks. Also enjoys a elk horn. He is on Acana pork and squash
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

To start, when we see discoloration of stools, we do have a few concerns. With this not being runny, with his gums being pink, and his being otherwise well; we’d be less worried that this is due to gut bleeding. As well, foreign material like dirt ingestion also sounds less likely.With those aside, we’d be most suspicious that this change in color is related to the high protein levels in this diet. This would not be a worry, since he hasn’t those other signs, but if we wanted to confirm this you could wean him back to the old diet for a few weeks to see if the color changes.

Otherwise, our more pressing issue is these vomits. These could be a hint of a brewing infection, a dietary indiscretion (or if he ate a bit of his chews), or possible dietary sensitivity. Therefore, we’d want to keep an eye here. Though since the signs have been mild, we can try to soothe the more benign suspicions with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if he doesn’t settle with this, then a check would be best to make sure we don’t have a bit of his chews caught in his stomach nor any infections we may need to address for him.

Finally, I would just note that you will want to be careful with the elk horn chew. They can ingest bits and it can harm the gut but we are also seeing a number of dogs fracture their teeth with these. So, do monitor how he chews these and if he is really using his molars heavily on them, we may need to limit his access to theses.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

ds,

Dr. B.