Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I live in an apartment and was doing laundry in the

Customer Question

Hi...I live in an apartment and was doing laundry in the basement. WHen I went back downstairs I noticed a green cube which looks like rat poison. My dog was down woth me and did lick her lips a little when she came up. Im wonderig if she picked it up in her mouth. i dont know fo rsure..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: Idid not, but I feel like i would have noticed that cube when I was down ths first time, so I feel like she might have found it and then dropped it when I called her up
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was a green block, I google searched and it looks like Tomcat -Bromethalin
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Bromethalin is a neurotoxin which should dictate decontamination procedures (emesis, activated charcoal) if ingested in excess of 0.23 mg/lb. Each 1 ounce block contains 2.84 mg of bromethalin. Can you go check to see how much might be gone from that block? How much does your dog weight, please?

Please note that blue blocks can contain bromethalin or an anticoagulant rodenticide.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no idea what the block was I didn't put it down. She is 35 pounds. I have activated charcoal at home..SHe was down there about 2.5 hours ago

If it were a 1 ounce block neither bromethalin nor an anticoagulant rodenticide would be present in enough quantity to intoxicate a 35 lb dog even if she ingested the entire block. It's too late to induce emesis but you could dose her with activated charcoal as per the label's instructions. While unlikely, the signs of bromethalin toxicity can take 24 hours to show up - muscle tremors, hyperexcitation, or seizures. A more insidious sign - hind limb paresis (weakness) - can appear up to 5 days later. Signs of an anticoagulant can take 1-4 days to show up as uncontrolled bleeding from any orifice, under the skin, or in the chest cavity resulting in an increased respiratory rate.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.