Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My dog has fleas that I am trying to get rid of. She is

Customer Question

My dog has fleas that I am trying to get rid of. She is allergic to them..so I give her benadryl and now coconut oil with her food. Her dog food is Science Diet for sensitive dogs. However
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: However her fur is rough and she is losing her fur and losing weight. I have tried many flea products
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Moo is an almost 10yr old lab. This has happened all within the past month. I have tried many topical products for the fleas, flea collars, medicated shampoos, DE, dawn dish soap. She has had fleas for the past 4 months now..but her hair and weight loss happened within the past month
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: "Moo" is her name
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me clarify a bit...I havent tried all these products at once..all within the past 4 months. This past month I have used DE, flea collar, dawn dish soap and a medicated shampoo with hydrocortisone, benadryl and coconut oil. It has been this past month she had lost her fur and her existing fur is rough...and lost weight
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 11 days ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you with Moo. Is Moo the only pet in the house?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No..have 3 cats and some fish. The cats also get flea treatments and have flea collars on..I have not seen any fleas on them.

Oh ok good. All pets in the house need to be treated every 30 days for you to stop the flea life cycle here.

I think you are doing a good job with the coconut oil and the Benadryl for the itching. Moo is probably allergic to the flea saliva, which is why she is having the hair loss and such.

I don't have much faith in the topical products anymore. I would suggest putting Moo on either Comfortis or NexGard, both of which are monthly oral products for fleas. Your veterinar***** *****kely carries one or both, or could get you a prescription for one. You could order it online and a prescription would be faxed to your veterinarian to sign.

Its important that you treat with a good quality product for at least 3 months in a row to break the life cycle.

Your veterinarian could even prescribe a course of steroids to help with the itching and hair loss.

Its frustrating, I know!

I hope this helps,

Dr. Snow