Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I observed a sore on my Pug's lip (for lack of a better

Customer Question

I observed a sore on my Pug's lip (for lack of a better term). The sore is on the part of the mouth that droops from the corner. When I tried to remove what I thought was debis from outside it started to bleed. So I am not sure if it is a scab or a sore.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max is 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He is on the last of his antibiotic for blood in his urine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I safely remove the scab without placing him at risk of infection or pain? Will it fall off naturally?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

This is very common in some breeds and typically Pugs are not one of them but Mastiff's, Great Dane's, German Shepherds to name a few can get this. It is due to the moisture in the mouth accumulating at that lip fold and the build up of moisture increases risk of inflammation.

You can remove this and I often do on my German Shepherd without incident, yes it might bleed a little but patting it dry and keeping the scabbing off will actually allow it to heal and resolve. If this makes you nervous then you can monitor and pull it off as it becomes a little more loose but I typically will have owners clean with an oatmeal based dog shampoo to remove the debris once daily until there is none then taper the frequency.

If Max is rubbing at the area or pawing at it you may have to do benadryl 1 mg/ pound to allow it to heal and potentially dab the area of the lip fold after meals to reduce the moisture that results in this scabbing

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!