Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a pom who is over 10 years old with heart disease. He

I have a pom who is over 10 years old with heart disease. He has not been eating well for several weeks. But this last week he has had diarrhea and attributed mainly due to varied diet, but last three days much worse, yesterday he threw up several times, this included water and did not eat. Today no throwing up and only once to go no. 2 but not much and was very loose. Now not eating or drinking. Did drink this morning but nothing since 10 am. Should I take him to the vet?

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he currently on heart medication?

2- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he is on heart meds but has not had them for 2 days now due to the fact he will not take them unless disguised. He has vomited since yesterday around 10:30 am

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Susan, I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, certainly, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by diet. However, there are many other causes like infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. that need to be ruled out. The fact that he has an underlying heart disease is a major concern. You see, when a patient is vomiting and has diarrhea dehydration is possible and having heart disease could make things worse for his heart, this could be life-threatening. I would strongly recommend having him checked by the nearest veterinarian as soon as you can. If possible, I would have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. In the meantime, give him water with a dropper directly into his mouth.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. That'said what I feared.

You're welcome. :)