Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 months dog Spinone Italiano did not eat this morning

My 7 months dog Spinone Italiano did not eat this morning and threw up her last night meal. It has been going on since we have her, diarrhea and throwing up. She was on Victor food in US when until she was 7 weeks. Then coming to Canada she was put on Acana food and that was was happened. She eats grass and dirt and she digs the yard but she is a wonderful dog and we love her. Our vet convinced us to cook for her. So we kept her on kibble in the morning and cook for her at night. The same thing is happening. The vet has given us Probiotic. We do not know if it makes a difference as she seems to feel better for a number of days and it starts again... We have given her chicken, rice and green beans and carrots. She has done well many nights and now it starts again. We are trying a new kibble mixed with Acana to see if the problem is the kibble. Let me know what you think. Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Spinone Italiano eat anything unusual?
Customer: The new kibble yesterday Horizon, Pulsar from Saskatchewan for the first time. But her vomit is vegetable green color with carrots. A couple of days after we fed her home cooking she began to eat her stool and became very defensive of it. She did not want me to pick it up and had the same reaction vis a vis regurgitating her kibble this week and last week. I am trying to understand all of the above. I know that dogs have a short digestive tract but need to know what to do. We are planning to give her half her portion of only chicken and white rice tonight. Please advice if you can.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spinone Italiano?
Customer: Ella has received her 3 vaccinations and her rabies shot at 6 months. It has been a pattern of being since we had her. All seems to go well and we are back at the same place. Kibble in morning, home cooking at night; chicken and rice and green beans and carrots (I may be repeating myself because I can't retrieve my first message) Let me know if I can give you more information. Is there a cost to this consultation?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: How much is the rest?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, since you queried costs, it appears that this question has been listed for $20.40. If this is ok, let me know and we can chat about Ella. If not, please let me know and I will send this back to customer service.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have submitted my credit card number but no answer came to me. I only received an offer for a free week. I really offered payment for a service and would appreciate getting some advice in writing.
Hope to hear from you real soon. Thank you for now.
Claudette Perron and Spinoza dog Ella

Hello again Claudette,

In that case, I am happy to discuss Ella with you if you wish to do so.

Though to give me a complete picture of the situation, can you tell me:

What tests have her vets done thus far?

Is she on monthly worming?

Is she on a vitamin to supplement/balance the homemade meal?

Was the new kibble weaned into her diet or was this a quick change?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello Dr. B.
Our vet has done many stool lab analysis at different times and nothing seems to show up. He always says she is healthy, give her some probiotic for a couple of days.
Ella is not on monthly worming for she does not have a problem it seems.
Yes, she is on supplement and a capsule of fish oil at dinner time with her homemade cooked meal.
Yes, we have included the new kibble a little at a time with Acana and this afternoon she had diarrhea again.
Gums are pink.
When Ella eats kibble, she seems to be agitated during the day. When she eats home cooking she is a more docile and quiet dog. Just noticed that.

Thank you for the further history about Ella.

First, I am glad her vet has had her stool analysed, but it’d be ideal to double check that this was tested fully (parasites, protozoa, bacteria and viral causes). If it has and we can exclude common culprits, then we’d be wary of Ella’s signs being due to a possible helicobacter gastritis (a common cause for chronic upper GI signs like the vomiting, grass eating, and appetite loss), IBD (which can cause all her signs), and dietary sensitivities (where the chicken, the proteins and the grains in the kibble would be suspect –possibly the grains most so if she is worse on kibble meals).

With these in mind, while we may have to consider scoping (using a scope with a camera to check the GI and take biopsies) as the next step diagnostically for those two health concerns, I would say that it’d be worth trying to manage her symptoms a bit more. Especially as we can sometimes see young dogs grow out of nutritional sensitivities by the time they are a year old.

Therefore, to start, if we have that nausea, we can consider trialing her on an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). And this could be used ever 12 hours to see if we could stabilize her upper GI signs. Alternatively, there are strong anti-nausea medications (ie Cerenia, Metoclopramide, Zofran) that her vet to dispense for you to try.

Otherwise, we’d want to do a diet trail for her to rule out nutritional sensitivities. If the kibble (which should be grain-free from that brand) is a new feature and since you noted she is calmer after non-kibble meals we can try trialling that new kibble with the homemade diet to start. Do note that we need to keep a diet trial going for 4-6 weeks (to give the gut cells time to pass any allergens from any previous diets). If she settles with this, we are happy. Otherwise, after that period, we can try a different kibble or try an alternative protein source (ie cottage cheese, scrambled egg, white fish) for her to make sure this isn’t a chicken sensitivity. As well, just to bulk up her stools naturally we could consider adding canned pumpkin to her meals. Or if she is very runny, there are a number of OTC kaolin/probiotic products for dogs (ie Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin, FastBalance, etc) that could help with that at the same time as supporting her good GI microfloral bacterial. Also I would just say that if she has been on the fish oil from the start, we do sometimes see sensitive dogs react to that. So, depending on when it was started, we may need to give her a break from that to make sure it is not involved.

Overall, her persisting signs do support a chronic active GI issue and the above would be my main concerns from what you have noted. So, do double check their fecal testing did remove all those infectious concerns from our differential list. If they have, then diet trials are the next step here with those other supportive measures to reduce her nausea and diarrhea (and the toll they will be taking on her body). Though if this persists, then endoscopy would be ideal so we can assess/sample the stomach and GI to rule out those other concerns and address this as best we can for Ella.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Dr. B is a very kind and thorough veterinarian. She wrote and explained in details about our dog Ella's symptoms and gave us much advice to follow. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes and happy holidays for you both,

Dr. B.