Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

All at the same time about a month ago excessive licking.

Customer Question

All at the same time about a month ago excessive butt licking. And will not eat near as much food. We buy extream high dollar dry food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gigi 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gigi?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 days ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 9 days ago.

Does she scoot on her butt at all?

Have you noticed any unusual odor to her?

When was the last time she was groomed?

Expert:  Lisa replied 9 days ago.

I'm getting ready to get offline, but I didn't want to leave you without an answer.

From your description of her behavior, I can't help but wonder if she's got some problems with her anal glands.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normally, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.
There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats .
As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.
Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm .
Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN