Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 9 Month min daushund was spayed last Tues. We brought her

Customer Question

My 9 Month min daushund was spayed last Tues. We brought her home Wednesday and she was very inactive and slept all day. Thursday she was slightly active and ate a small amount. Friday she was coming back around to her normal self and eating regularly. And Saturday and Sunday back to the normal routine. Last night she went to sleep about 10pm and normally wakes to go outside at 7am. But this morning didn't get up until 11am. She did potty and then immediately returned to her bed and has slept majority of the day. I've tried hand feeding her, tried treats to get a reaction, and tried grilled chicken which she never turns down and sure enough. Nothing. Nor has she drank anything. So I'm curious if I need to return to the vet. I will be gnf
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: I've checked her staples from surgery daily and there hasn't been any change. I've not noticed any temperature around the incisions or swelling like I was told to look for. So I didn't think it was an infection. I'm just worried she's never been this lethargic and unresponsive to playing or eating.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 days ago.

I am sorry to learn Sophie is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Did she get into anything?

4- Is she currently on any medications?

5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

6- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She vomited once, sorta white liquid. She had a solid bowel this morning then earlier she had one that was slightly solid and was kind of runny. She has not gotten into anything at all and no change in food. And the vet did not send Any medicine home. She's currently sleeping, so that's a no on temp but earlier I checked gums. They did look a little different than normal. They had a deep very thin red line. But look a little on the pale side.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 days ago.

Again, I am sorry that you are having this problem with Sophie. In response to your question, I am not 100% certain if this is related to being spayed. You see, by this point Sophie should be completely recovered and behaving normal. The fact that she vomited we need also need to consider things like ingestion of a foreign body, etc. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I am a bit concern if you are seeing that her gums are on the pale side, this could be an indication of dehydration, poor circulation, anemia, blood shifting to other organs, etc. In this case, I would recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination and supportive care (IV fluids). I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If you do not have access to ER veterinarian give her water with a dropper directly into her mouth. In addition, force feed her a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef, if possible blend the food and force feed her with a dropper. Follow up with your family veterinarian first thing in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 days ago.

You're welcome. :)

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
She just looks sick. Very puny like and her eyes seem puffy and her nose is just completely dry. She barely wants to lift her head to even acknowledge our other dog.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We are approx an hour and half away from an emergency clinic and I'm just trying to decide if its that urgent or could wait until our clinic opens at 9am.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 days ago.

This further supports having her checked by a veterinarian. I know an hour and half is a long drive. But, when a patient is so lethargic and the possibility of pale gums the outcome could be fatal if the exact underlying cause is not identified, treated and corrected. For this reason, I would take her to the ER vet if this was my dog. I am sorry, I wish I could say she will be okay until the morning, but, the truth is that I don't know and I am a bit concerned about her symptoms, I am sorry.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 days ago.

You're welcome. Please keep me posted.