Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My son's beagle has chewed almost all of her fur off her

Customer Question

My son's beagle has chewed almost all of her fur off her paws legs and hind quarters. She is blind and deaf also she is 14 . What would you do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes nothing there. acting strange
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Kasey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kasey?
Customer: Not really. Ryan my son does not live here anymore but could not afford what the rental company wanted per month for her so we have her.They just had a baby in August so a large vet bill is out of the question.We are retired fixed income and she so old and sickly looking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Kasey skin and itching problems. It was nice of you to take her in. Give me a moment to type up my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Chewing like this on the feet and legs can be due to allergies, fleas, microscopic parasites called mites, skin infection, or to underlying diseases such as hormonal imbalances (adrenal, thyroid), liver disease, etc.

I would start by putting a good effective safe flea product on her, even if you do not see fleas. When dogs become sensitized to flea bites, they only need one flea to see them off scratching all over. I would use Frontline, the Seresto collar, Bravecto, or Nexgard.

For the itching you can try Benadryl, 25 mg for a 25 pound dog 2 to 3 times a day. Supplements like oatmeal wipes or baths, fish oil, anti oxidants, quercetin, and nettles might help.

If none of these make any difference, then she may need skin scrapings to look for microscopic mites, or prescription itch medication such as Apoquel, prednisone, or Temeril P.

It would be best for her to have an exam, basic blood tests, and skin scrapings done, but I understand you took her in and don't have a lot to spend. Start with some good flea medication; about 75% of dog skin problems are related to fleas.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Please let me know what other questions you have.