Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I HAVE A SHIH TZU SHE'S ABOUT 11YRS OLD AND A REAL

Customer Question

HELLO I HAVE A SHIH TZU SHE'S ABOUT 11YRS OLD AND A REAL SWEETHEART. SHE IS VERY LOVING WHEN I MOVE SHE MOVES WITH ME FOLLOWING ME FROM ROOM TO ROOM THEN LAYS AT MY SIDE.
ISSUEs:
1.SHE SEEMS TO BE COMFORTABLE JUST LAYING DOWN WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN SHE JUMPS TO HER FEET AS IF SHE WAS SPOOKED.
2. WHENEVER SHE STANDS UP SHE ALWAYS HAS TO SHAKE HERSELF LIKE A DOG THAT WAS WET.
SHE HAS NO FLEAS
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 days ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 5 days ago.

Does she ever scoot her bottom on the ground?

Have you noticed her paying attention to her rear lately?

Have you noticed any unusual odor to her?

Is she eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry for the delay...she os eating normally, no odor ..no to all questions
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 days ago.

How long has she been doing this?

Does she ever get groomed?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I first noticed it about 6months ago. She gets regular grooming. I usually have her collar and tags off in the house but decided to keep them on so i can hear her jump and shake..the 2 issues seem to be seperate. Oh and one more thing when laying and comfortable she pops her jaw ie..when yawning...otherwise shes healthy
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 days ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

From your description of her behavior, I can't help but wonder if she's having a problem with her anal glands.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normally, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.
There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats .
As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.
Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm .
Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 days ago.

You are very welcome.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 day ago.
Hi Harrison,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN