Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has an eqalilbruim problem since being on a plane

Customer Question

My dog has an eqalilbruim problem since being on a plane brought her to the vet yesterday ear infection 24 hours later still falling over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chloe 1.5 years old she is still very happy and wants to play but falling over on her right side she was checked out and her ears were cleaned and medicated
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatment is being used specifically?

Has she been circling in one direction?

Does she have a head tilt?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Two via is Claro ear medication both ear inflamed right much worse cytology results showed bilateral yeast and bacterial infection.
head titled right side a bit
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No call
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now that is a fine treatment if bacterial and yeast agents were found to be causing an ear infection. That said, an ear infection within the external ear canal usually does not affect balance and equilibrium. Those signs are more suggestive of her having an infection that has spread into the middle ear (or also vestibular or brain issues). Therefore, if Chloe's balance has not improved since the treatment was started, it is highly advisable to ring her vet about them dispensing systemic treatment (so we can reach that middle ear too). Specifically, we'd want her on an anti-inflammatory (which should help with all those possible areas of inflammation that could cause these signs) +/- a systemic antibiotic to treat any infection that has spread into the middle ear and those drops won't reach. If she settles with that, we are happy. If she doesn't then those other concerns would be more of a worry and we'd need to think about a xray or her inner ear or CT/MRI to check her brain.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )