How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16322
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20 pound dachshund ate a sandwich bag full of fudge made

This answer was rated:

My 20 pound dachshund ate a sandwich bag full of fudge made with chocolate chips. I don't know if he ate it this morning or last night. He is lethargic now. We just found the empty/chewed bag this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Buddy. 8 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: Nothing medical. He is sad/depressed about all of our family leaving after thanksgiving. And gets lethargic when this happens. But this lethargy is a much bigger deal

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many hours ago would you estimate he had this?

How many grams/ounces would you estimate were in the bag?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, vomiting, or diarrhea?

Can he keep any water down?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't know if he ate it this morning or last night. The range would be between 1/2 hour ago to 8 hours ago. I would guess it was less than an hour ago since he is much more lethargic now. I don't know how to estimate the quantity in ounces/grams. The bag probably contained 10 pieces of 1 inch square.
Ingredients were chocolate chips, marshmallow, caramel, chocolate cake mix.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He hasn't eaten his regular food or had water. He doesn't want to move much
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No retching or gagging
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No vomiting, lip licking or diarrhea

Thank you,

Now the main concern here will be the chocolate and cocoa in the cake mix. Both will contain theobrominine, the chocolate toxin. Since this sounds like quite a dose Buddy has had and since there is a chance he hasn't absorbed it all yet, we are best to be proactive here (especially since high dose chocolate ingestion can cause GI upset, vomiting, diarrhea, but also affect the breathing and cause seizures).

Now if we think it may have been in the last 2 hours, we can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if we are over 2 hours but under 8, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, if he just had this that recently, then we may not have full absorption (which may be why his signs are mild just now). So, the above would be best to get as much of this out of his stomach as we can and bind the rest. That way we can reduce the risk for him and keep him from harm. Of course, any struggles to do so or if he has those more severe signs at any point, then we'd need a check with his vet for fluids and supportive care.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B. and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions