Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Doctor.. i have a 3 year Rotty, since the past 3 days his

Customer Question

hello, doctor.. i have a 3 year Rotty, since the past 3 days his been down.. his got somes sort of cough.. his not eating well.. he looks very weak
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bobby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bobby?
Customer: i took him to the Vet on Saturday, he said that it mght have be an allergy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What tests did his vet do? What treatments thus far?

Is it a harsh or soft cough?

Any changes to how quickly he is breathing?

Any wheezing or congestion?

Are Bobby's gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well i live in seychelles, the VET here are useless for sure.. he only checked on him physically.. he checked his heart ... he said its perfectly fine. his breathing is oky... i took him for a walk yesterday, but i did not exhuast him.. the cough its like something is stuck in his throat. and on saturday his tongue was pale. yesterday it was pink.. his gum look a little pale, but not that much, and his not drooling.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now if his gums are looking pale at times (especially when he is being exercised), then we'd have to be concerned about his heart and may need a local vet to xray or scan it for him. Otherwise, there would be concern that this underlying issue is compromising the lungs and perhaps reducing his oxygen intake. In regards ***** ***** conditions that can cause coughing in the dog, we'd be most wary of bacterial upper airway infections, parainfluenza and bacterial tracheitis. As well, but hopefully less likely with his sudden onset, we can see coughing with bronchitis, asthma, and associated with some respiratory parasites (ie lungworm, heartworm).

Therefore, with all of this in mind, we do need to monitor him closely. Ideally, since infectious agents are so common in causing coughs in young dogs, it would be ideal to ring his vet to see if they can dispense antibiotics for this (since they just saw him that shouldn't be an issue). As well, we can try to soothe his throat with a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with him. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving him to cough.

Furthermore, if he has a throat irritation, then soaking his kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce his signs. Though if he is being fussy, you can try offering or syringe feed Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, puppy food, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And if we can get some of that in, we'd hope that we can counter that weakness we are seeing.
Overall, Bobby's signs do raise a few concerns. Allergies could cause a cough but I am convinced of this with his signs. Especially with how commonly coughs are due to bacterial agents in dogs this age. Therefore, you can soothe his throat with the above but it would be ideal to have his vet start an antibiotic as well. Of course, if he doesn't respond to that or is quite pale, then an xray would be a good next step to check the lungs and the heart and help us get to the root of this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.