Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My teacup chihuahua is backup rapidly and making a sound of

Customer Question

My teacup chihuahua is backup rapidly and making a sound of being uncomfortable, she's also burping a lot and can't seem to get comfortable, I'm not sure what is going on
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Backing up, meaning waking backwards rapidly
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any changes to her diet? New food? New treats? human food? holiday food?

2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

3) Any history of illness or injury?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No on everything. She is hyperglycemic but she's not showing any signs of that being the problem. She's eating and drinking water

Typically when we see dogs backing up it indicates that they are experiencing pain somewhere. The belching action makes me worry that this may be GI-related but we would expect to see vomiting or avoidance of meals. Is she panting at all?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No she's not panting. She's acting like she's cold but because of her size that's not out of the ordinary

If you are referring to shivering and seeking shelter in blankets, this may also indicate pain.

She can have a 1/4 dose of a regular adult gas-x to help with the belching. This should not keep your vet from using any medication in the near future if she needs to be examined. Ensure that the product you use does not contain xylitol.

After giving this, I would wait a few hours to see if this gives her relief from the discomfort she's experiencing and the belching symptoms. If it does not, I would plan to see your vet in the morning for a physical exam unless she worsens before morning at which point I would go to the ER. Your vet may recommend blood work to check her internal organ values which might be causing her discomfort (such as her pancreas) and may also recommend x-rays to ensure her neck, back and hips are not the source of the discomfort.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
She's always under the blankets. She's only 2lbs would I still give her medicine? She typically can't have anything at normal dose

Yes, you're not going to harm anything with gas-X. The job of this medication is to help cut back on gas buildup in the system. Toxicity is very low for such a product. If you aren't sure, use less and see if she has any benefit from the dosing.