Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My husband and I just purchased a Queensland heeler puppy

Customer Question

My husband and I just purchased a Queensland heeler puppy and he seems to have matted hair and scabs located around the base of his tail, hips, hairy part of his tummy. On one of them the hair has fallen out and its a round shape... There is no signs of this around his ears, eyes, or toes, and only very faint circles on his tummy with no scabbing or flaking.. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is based on all the information I've been reading..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Baloo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baloo?
Customer: He smelled awful when we picked him up like urine and feces
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the breeder said none of the other puppies had this "rash" as she called it and gave us some veterycyn (I know that isn't correct spelling) because one of her previous puppies had it and the vetericyn healed the "rash"
I noticed there is no scabbing or matted hair or dry patches from his shoulders forward just hoping like hell its nothing contagious like mange...
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I worry that since the breeder didn't have the forethought to ensure the puppy didn't smell like urine and feces that this might be something concerning. Can you attach a few clear pictures from this area? Is there any change in the matting if you bathe him?