Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog hasn't eaten anything since Friday. He has no

Customer Question

Hi. My dog hasn't eaten anything since Friday. He has no appetite, and threw up a few times yesterday, mainly yellow and clear bile. Today he had a little bit of watery diarrhea and only throws up after drinking water but still isn't eating and has no energy, he can't even make it halfway out the door to go outside. And just now, literally as we're speaking he threw up what looks like a light brownish liquid and looks like he just went to try and go to the bathroom. I don't know if I should take him to an emergency walk in or wait until tomorrow to see our vet. Also he was wheezing a little bit earlier but it was not consistent.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He has cushings, he is a 7 yr old maltese. I'm worried that it might be something in the intestinal track or his kidneys but maybe its just a stomach bug or a parasite. How do I know if I need to get him help immediately or if it can wait til tomorrow?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry, it wasn't light brown vomit, it was diarrhea...it's a weird color light brownish
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No one has responded yet, it's been 40 minutes
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I apologize for the delay, JACustomer. We are lightly staffed over nights and holidays.

Can you tell me if your companion has had any changes in his diet? new food? new treats? human food? holiday food? bones?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
nothing drastic, sometimes I give him human food, I did give him chicken a few days ago. He has recurring diarrhea pretty often and it's been getting more frequent as of late, seems like every couple weeks he stops eating for a day or two and has watery stool and then gets back to normal, but he usually doesn't vomit or act as lethargic as he is now. He is wimpering and was wheezing a bit earlier. Drinks water and throws it back up after. His stool is a weird light pasty brown. He looks very sad and just not ok. I have been waiting until tomorrow to go to the vet but thinking maybe I should go to the er, I don't know what to do, I don't want to risk anything, god forbid, but I know it will take time to do tests etc and I would rather do that with our doctor. He has cushings. I'm afraid its liver/kidney related or some kind of intestinal blockage.Do these things need immediate attention? He's not throwing up much anymore, just laying around very low energy and sickly.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
actually he just threw up again
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello??

Going to the ER would be wise. The faster the symptoms are addressed the better.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This did not help at all...I already know these remedies, I made him chicken soup, what I'm trying to ask you is about concerns that go beyond an upset stomach and at what point you think I should be alarmed enough to take him to the er. He will not eat anything, there would be no way to even administer the pepcid.

When pets do not want to eat, we pill them. This happens quite often, in fact. You are going on 3 days without him eating. As I mentioned in last reply, going to the ER would be most ideal. The faster the symptoms are addressed the better, especially given the prolonged history of avoiding food every few days and having abnormal stools. I would recommend a full panel of bloodwork to check his organ function, including pancreas, and also a fecal examination to ensure that the symptoms aren't due to an underlying condition.

I will also opt out to see if anyone else can assist you this evening with other suggestions outside of what I have recommended. Good luck with your companion. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I want to speak to an actual VET please
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to do all of that...he will be receiving all tests and xrays blood work etc, the questions is do I wait a few more hours to take him or do i go now