Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I HAVE 2 MINI CHIHAUHAU AND MY NEPHEW GAVE THEM HAM

Customer Question

i HAVE 2 MINI CHIHAUHAU AND MY NEPHEW GAVE THEM HAM THANKSGIVING DAY THEY WERE BLOATED AND HAD THROWING UP AND DIARRHEA STILL TODAY SO WEAK AND THEY WONT EAT OR DRINK PLEASE HELP ONLY ABOUT 8 OR 9 WEEKS OLD
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. With young puppies, even just simple gastrointestinal inflammation can cause severe signs. Not to mention that if they are not eating, young puppies are very prone to developing low blood sugar, especially this breed. Their liver is not developed enough to store enough glucose. Plus, water is a larger percentage of their body weight when compared to older and bigger dogs, so dehydration is so much easier. When these are coupled together from just simple gastrointestinal upset, it can be a downward spiral for small breed, young puppies. If they are indeed very weak, my best advice is to get them to your nearest veterinary emergency clinic tonight because they can go downhill quickly. You can try rubbing a little Karo syrup or honey on their gums to increase blood sugar, but this is only a very temporary fix and still need to be treated at the hospital. Given that it is ham, it is possible that it has caused a pancreatitis, which can make things much worse. Given the history, a parasitic or viral issue would be less likely, but still needs to be considered. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Daisy and Dobby are doing and to see if you have any further questions.