Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has pain in her right leg - whether this is from her

Customer Question

She has pain in her right leg - whether this is from her joints or soft tissue is unknown. She has had x-rays but nothing found. She has had canine joint support,fish oils, anti-inflammatory tablets and acupuncture but still limping. I have been told that it could be a soft tissue injury and to massage and stretch out the limb concentrating on the "knee". It is very hard to get her to rest it as she is a cattle dog and wants to be on the go all the while. Any advice would be appreciated it as I am on a pension and very expensive every time I visit the vet. Can dogs have tumeric as this is a natural anti-inflammatory? Thank yhou
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes - checked it out but can't see or find anything. I forgot to mention that she licks her "knee" area quite a lot
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is just over 8 years of age
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sally?
Customer: No - apart from that she is very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, if it's Sally's front or hind right leg that's lame? To answer you directly, yes, tumeric (circumin is the active ingredient of tumeric) can be administered to dogs. You'll find quite a few products by googling the keywords "tumeric, circumin, dog" and dosing instructions will be found on the label of those products.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is Sally's front leg (sorry I did not make that clear)

Thank you. Which breed is Sally, please? Large breed dogs with persistent but undiagnosed lameness in a front leg often turn out to suffer from a rotator cuff injury such as biceps tenosynovitis, supraspinatus calcifying tendinopathy, and collateral ligament tears. Unless a generalist vet knows how to test for these injuries, they'll be missed. Oftentimes referral to a specialist veterinary orthopedic surgeon is the most expedient manner in which to detect these and other less common injuries.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for getting back to me. Sally is an Australian blue stumpy tailed cattle dog and weights 20.7 kilos. She is not a tall dog - probably the same height as a springer spaniel. The local vet is now of the opinion that it could be ligament related so is getting a support made for her which she has to wear when walking (getting her to walk is the hard bit!!)

Collateral ligament tears around the shoulder as I mentioned above are certainly a consideration. If a splint and the tincture of time doesn't heal her up, surgical exploration and repair of the area determined to be problematic would be indicated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your advice Dr Michael

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.