Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of experience in small animal medicine
95161809

Scab on earth. Scab is blacknown..lots of itching and

Customer Question

Scab on earth. Scab is blacknown..lots of itching and shaking his head.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Biggie 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Biggie?
Customer: No fleas. He is a big American bulldog mix with longhanging ears.it started with ears red and swollen. Which stated to itch and then scab up. But continues to scratch off the scab.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. L and i'll try to help you and Biggie tonight. How long has this been going on and is he on any meds? Have you tried anything for them?

Is he on any flea medications? Even if you're NOT seeing fleas a dog STILL could have fleas. I see this all the time in my practice. Fleas like to live by the base of the tail and up near the neck and behind the ears. But.....if he really and truly DOESN"T have fleas he may very well have otitis externa, or an ear infection, esp being a dog with long hanging ears.

Ear infections can make the ears very red and even swollen, be very itchy and painful and the dog could itch to the point of bleeding and causing scabs that then they re open up by scratching. Do you see any type of discharge in his ear canals?

If there's discharge in the ear canal this most likely will be either a bacterial or yeast or both infection in which you will need to take him to the vet to determine and to then get him on the appropriate medication for. There's really nothing over the counter other than an ear cleaner that you can use to get rid of the infection.

Sometimes the ears are just red and itchy but it's NOT an infection and is most likely due to some type of underlying allergy, most likely a food allergy even if he's been on the same food his entire life. They can develop allergies later on in life just as humans do. For this the vet may need to prescribe some steriods.

You can always try some oral benadryl to try to calm down the itch until you can get him in to see your vet and even some topical hydrocortisone cream on the scabs. But the MOST important thing to do would be to go to your local Petsmart/Petco or petstore and bring him right in there to get a proper fitting E-collar so that he doesn't continue to traumatize his ears.

How much does Biggie weigh?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Biggie is about 100 lbs.

ok, so he can get up to 4 (25mg) benadryls, ,like what we would take for ourselves , every 8 hours. It may make him drowsy though. So if so you could give him less.

Dogs with ear infections/allergies usually present to us vets with red swollen itchy ears and shake their heads a lot as they can't pick at their ears with their paws like we can do with our fingers.

Does this help you somewhat? Again, this is something you really need to take him in to your vet for.

If this answers your questions could you please rate me?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
A little like black wax we cleaned out . He has had allergies before with itchy swollen ears. But I think it's the scratching that brought up the scanning. No discharge only blood

The "black wax" could actually be yeast which is VERY common in dogs with allergies. The blood is secondary to the itching.

Again, he still needs to go to your vet for appropriate medication for his ears.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. I was putting neosporin triple antibiotics. It's that ok?

sorry, my commputer is being SOOOOOO slow. But yes, neosporin is FINE to put on there. Remember, in order to stop him from making his ears worse please please please try to get an E-collar for him and see your vet! Thanks

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. Ty. Gn

ty? gn?

Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 8 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Levinson