Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

He has a large soft swelling under the left front leg. It is

Customer Question

he has a large soft swelling under the left front leg. It is on the ribs not in the axilla and extends to mid chest
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds, the area is not tender to touch, he's eating and acting normally
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bastion and he's 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bastion?
Customer: no he's a daschund/ yorkie mix and is slightly overweight but otherwise very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Bastion has a large soft tissue swelling on the left lateral thoracic region. Older dogs often get lumps and bumps on the skin, some are concerning while others aren't. Typically hard lumpy swellings are concerning for cancer, and softer squishy swellings are often lipoma's (fatty benign tumors). We can often deduce that a soft squishy swelling that is subcutaneous in nature is most likely a fatty tumor (lipoma) and is nothing to worry about in most cases. However with that said, no tumor can 100% be proven to be non-cancerous without getting samples from that tumor via fine needle aspirate or biopsy, and having it analyzed.

With all of that said. Does the tumor appear to be underneath the skin or is it well defined and on top of the skin?

- Dr. H