Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Shes panting, shaking and following me around if shes not

Customer Question

Shes panting, shaking and following me around if shes not outside laying in the shrub....not like her. Shes 14yoa
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: She has past ACL tears...no surgery, acupuncuture and laser....but its been a couple months since the last treatment. She takes 1/2 tab 75mg tab Duramax a day. She was running earlier today with our other dog and i thought she may be in pain so gave her another 1/2 tab about an hr ago.....but no improvement
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're correct to consider pain as a possible etiology for her panting, shaking, and clingy-ness but without supportive symptoms, the source of that pain is elusive. Anxiety is another important consideration particularly if there have been very recent changes in her environment. To confound the diagnosis, painful dogs will become anxious. Can you give me an update on Roxy, please? Have new symptoms arisen that might localize pain?

Please note that Deramaxx is a once daily drug dosed at 0.5-1 mg/lb. If the initial dose were in that dosage range, giving another dose within a 24 hour period won't be helpful and could be harmful.