Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Pitt female had ear mites. Ears were cleaned & treated. Her

Customer Question

Pitt female had ear mites. Ears were cleaned & treated. Her side of head is badly swollen. What do I do? Can I give her prednisone- I have before & how much?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the mite can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the mite's name and age?
Customer: Dee Dee -approx 4yrs. She is a stray that came to house over summer 2016
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dee Dee?
Customer: Had at least one litter pups & bad ear mites.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with DeeDee. It isn't clear to me what "(The) side of (her) head is badly swollen." implies. Has she scratched the side of her head to the point that the skin is swollen and ulcerated - a pyotraumatic dermatitis? If so, prednisone dosed at 0.25 mg/lb daily will be very helpful. The ulcerated skin should be cleansed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) and the area then sprayed with a numbing spray available in pet/feed stores or online.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Skin not broken, has lot drainage from ears

Thank you for the additional information. It sounds as if DeeDee's ears should be irrigated once again. It's unlikely that mites are still responsible and so her vet should perform a cytology (microscopic exam) of a small sample of that drainage looking for abnormal numbers of either bacteria or yeast and treat accordingly. Prednisone is indicated for these dogs at the dose I posted above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.