Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog is a shared pei,she had 6 epileptic fits yesterday

Customer Question

My dog is a shared pei,she had 6 epileptic fits yesterday the vets are closed till Monday but all day today she's been pacing backwards & forwards she won't settle or sleep she's constantly crying I don't know what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's called frankie & she's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about frankie?
Customer: She's not on any Meds for the epilepsy as she had 1 ages ago then none for ages now she's having them every other day & yesterday she had 6 & today she's like this I don't know what to do to help her x
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 days ago.

I will wait for your reply so I know we are connected.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

I'm here

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 days ago.

At her age, the likelihood that these are epileptic seizures (genetic in origin) is quite high. Nonetheless, with a sudden onset of so many, I would encourage an ER vet visit today for a basic blood profile to ensure everything else systemically (internally) is okay.
What are the guidelines vets use to dictate if anti-seizure medication should be used:
1. If seizures occur in clusters. Several at once.
2. If there is one really long bad seizure, over 4-5 minutes
3. If they are increasing in frequency over time.

Based on these criteria, it certainly sounds like Frankie should be evaluated and started on medication sooner than later.

You will be unable to assist her at home. Well worth a vet trip today, to any vet, to initiate therapy.

Hope that information helps!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

I can't get into a vets till tomorrow she's just barking & screaming is there nothing I can do till I get her to vets tommorow there closed on a Sunday in UK

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 days ago.

I'm sorry. There is nothing I can recommend over-the-counter to assist with seizure control.

You need to call your primary vet's office, and because they are closed, the answer machine should provide the phone number for 1 or 2 of the closest emergency clinics. It's the best answer I can provide.

There are no safe medications or drugs that can effectively control seizures at home. In addition, if she is that severe, I have to assume this may be more than epilepsy. I hope you don't hold that against me, but its the most honest answer I can provide.