Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a 12 year old basethound he has not eating for 4 days

Customer Question

i have a 12 year old basethound he has not eating for 4 days vomiting drinking water alot 0nly coughing a lot as well sleeping all the time lost of weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he has a lot of bumps on him black he has had for a long time but never seem to bother him dont know if it means anything
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.

I will wait for your reply so I know we are connected.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.

I am very sorry. He is very ill.

1. Not eating 4 days
2. vomiting
3. Drinking a lot
4. coughing as well
5. Lost a lot of weight
6. Sleeping a lot
7. The bumps have been present for awhile, so are not of concern at this time.

Based on all of the above observations, he really needs to get to a vet ASAP for supportive care to help the stomach distress, and basic testing.
Unfortunately, there is no way to address all of these issues, in a 12 year old, with at home therapies. I have to be very concerned about organ disease, cancer, and lung issues as well with his symptoms.
Still typing.....

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.

I would strongly encourage a vet visit, and basic testing should include a blood profile and possibly some chest x-rays to try and get some answers to what is going on. In addition, the vet can start some really good medication to help the stomach complications. Cerenia, a once-a-day anti-vomiting drug, is very popular in this situation.

Truly wish I could do more. But, definitely, this is not a routine dietary indiscretion causing illness lasting this long. Well worth the vet trip today to initiate supportive treatment.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i know cheese and dog treats he has aways loved but now smells then sleeps will not eat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.

Yep. Understood. that is because of the degree of stomach distress. With repeated vomiting initially, he also could have pancreatitis, which can be exacerbated by having ingested anything new or anything oily/greasy/fatty about 5-6 days ago. But, considering he is refusing everything, that is another vote for the vet trip today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i thank you and will take him
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.

Sounds like a plan.

Good Luck!