Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He threw up one time on Friday and since then he has not

Customer Question

He threw up one time on Friday and since then he has not acted quiet right. I have not seen him have a bowel movement and he walks with a little arch in his back. I think he may be constipated. He is not lethargic, he is just not his energetic self. He is a Chiwinee and he is 9 months old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No thats all
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he straining like he needs to pass stool?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Is he eating and drinking since the vomit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is eating and drinking.I have not witnessed him even trying to pass stool. His gums are pink and moist.No responses when iI press on his stomach. As far as eating something he should not....very possible, he chews on everything.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is also shivering like he is cold.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that he is comfortable in his belly and not straining to pass stool. This does make a constipation less likely. That said, the shivering is a non-specific sign we see in dogs that don't feel well. So, we'd need to keep a close eye here, especially if he is a bit hunched up (which can be a sign of gut upset, pancreatitis or a hint of a possible obstruction).

Though for the moment, given that he isn't sore and he is eating, there are some steps we can take to try and help him pass this stool. To start, we do sometimes find cow’s milk beneficial for increasing gut movement and getting stool passed. Alternatively, OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can also help as it works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Or we could also administer a few millilitres of Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, if he is eating you can mix in some fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) as this can restore fecal regularity (just as in people). This can be offered in canned food for ease of eating, while making sure we are getting water in (as canned food is 35% water). Also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth to tempt him.

Overall, it is possible he has a brewing early stage constipation giving him discomfort or it may be that he has eaten something he should not have. So, we do want to tread with care. The above would be our plan of action, but as you treat do monitor fecal and urinary output. If you aren’t seeing stool in the next 12-24 hours or he worsens at all, then we’d want the local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
Best wishes,
Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.