How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6640
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 66 lb dog overdosed on 30 75mg deramaxx pills. I took him

Customer Question

My 66 lb dog overdosed on 30 75mg deramaxx pills. I took him to the emergency vet and they induced vomiting, gave him activated charcoal and did blood work (kidney panel was good) They also gave him IV fluids under the skin. They recommended 24 hr IV fluids, however, I was headed home from out of town when this happened. 10 hours later, I am now home and wonder if he needs to go to an emergency vet here for continued fluids or can he just rest now and get another blood test at 24 hours to see if his kidney levels are still good. He did drink some water when we got home. Thank-you.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Shiloh who is recovering from an ingestion of a lot of Deramaxx pills. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Good on you for getting Shiloh to your local ER vet so quickly after he ingested all of these Deramaxx pills. As you likely read, an overdose of these non-steroidal antiinflammatory drugs can affect the liver and kidneys as well as cause a bad GI upset. It sounds like the vet team managed to get Shiloh to vomit these pills pretty quickly after he ingested them, meaning it is unlikely there was much of the drug in his system after this. The activated charcoal will hopefully have mopped up any remaining drug to help prevent the potential symptoms of this ingestion. While the subcutaneous fluids may have gone some way to assist here, they will not have provided enough renal support to be that useful. Shiloh would need an IV catheter and IV fluids for these to be any use in this situation. IV fluids given subcutaneously would help to keep him hydrated, but won't provide sufficient renal support.

If Shiloh didn't vomit all of the tablets, then I would definitely recommend you get him straight back to your local ER vet where they can place an IV line and start some IV fluids now just as extra support and security in this situation. If you can't get him back, or if you would prefer not to, then just continue to keep an eye on him, and definitely follow up with your local vet for that follow up renal blood test in the next day or two. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 days ago.

Hi there,

How is Shiloh doing now? Hopefully he is completely back to normal with not long lasting effects of this ingestion.

It would be great to get an update when you have a moment.

Dr E