Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog appears to be able to breathe fine with its mouth open

Customer Question

Dog appears to be able to breathe fine with its mouth open but with its mouth close it seems to choke when breathing through nose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dolce, 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about dolce?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Does he sound congested?

Any nasal discharge?

When you hold your finger in front of each nostril, does he have reduced airflow from either?

Is he actually coughing? Harsh or soft?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?