Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Noticed she has a limp on the right front, she has no

Customer Question

Noticed she has a limp on the right front, she has no resistance in her leg at all.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 12 week old puggle
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Clara has a limp in her right front leg.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. Nothing there. I watch for thorns do to my job
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the's name?
Customer: I use twin pines vet clinic in st Joseph mo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?
Customer: I've only had her 2 1/2 weeks. Haven't noticed anything else with her
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 days ago.

I am sorry to hear Clara has this lameness.

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your puppy if this lameness does not resolve over the weekend to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the shoulder and leg in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the leg and shoulder to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the shoulders. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort because they too will cry out if picked up a certain way due to back pain.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly. This might be a strain/ sprain or more serious depending on how the injury occurred but it sounds like there is no swelling so that is a hopeful sign

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 days ago.

Good evening, I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. How is Clara doing? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman